Thursday, May 7, 2009

An interesting journey

I am increasingly aware of the dynamic change within as I open myself to experience life’s pain and life’s joy.

It is reassuring to know that people think they haven’t arrived when they say, “God ain’t done with me yet.” But the saying is also theologically sound.

In Wesleyan theology, we are created in the image of God; we have fallen from that image, and in Jesus Christ and with the power of the Holy Spirit, we are “moving toward perfection.” In other words, God isn’t done with us yet. We are changing and growing toward that image that God has place in each of us.

To the extent that it is possible, I think it is helpful to open ourselves to the pain as well as the beauty of life. In my sister-in-law’s (Donna’s) words, “I am opening myself to experience the terrible beauty of Don’s journey toward death.” Donna is growing in grace, and I want to grow in grace.

I asked Donna if the time after Don’s funeral was especially hard for her — the time after everyone had gone.

“Oh, no,” she said. “Even as I cry out in my sadness and loneliness, I still cherish this time. I need this time alone. This is a very interesting experience.”

I’m not at that place, but I am aware that I am nurturing the little boy within — the boy who gets scared and sad. I am taking care of him. Jesus said we should love others as we love ourselves. I think it’s OK to nurture that little boy (or little girl) within. That’s part of growing in grace.

What a wonderful journey this life is. And what a wonder it is that God gave us each other to share that journey. Thanks be to God!

1 comment:

Pat said...

"an interesting journey" is one that no wife wants to take. I have made 3 such journeys: mine, Carols and Peggys. I believe that God had me make mine with Jims passing to prepare me so that I could be there for my two daughters. When Bill, Peggys husband, invited me to come to Denver to live with them, I sold my home in Houston within 3 days of putting it on the market. I arrived in Denver on March 17, 2007. settled in and became part of the family. On April 8, 2007, Bill dropped dead of a massive heart attack while at work. I believe that God made it possible for me to be there for her. I had to be there to help her through her "interesting journey"!